Raleigh DWI Lawyer
A driving while intoxicated (DWI) charge can result in the loss of your reputation and cost you fines and jail time. If you are charged with DWI, it’s not advisable to navigate the legal process alone. The Raleigh DWI attorneys of Hatch, Little & Bunn know how to minimize the penalties you may face.
While in some states DWI is a more serious charge than driving under the influence (DUI), North Carolina laws do not distinguish between the two. Determining DWI penalties in North Carolina is a complex and case-specific process. Whether you decide to fight the charges or plead guilty, it is always important to have a Raleigh DWI attorney by your side. Penalties for DWI convictions include the following:
- First offense. After a first conviction, you face a mandatory license suspension of one year. The reinstatement of a license is contingent upon completion of a substance abuse program. You might also face fines of several hundred dollars.
- Second offense. Depending on how long ago your previous offense took place, the court can suspend your license for anywhere from one to four years. After you get your license back, you must pay for the installment of an ignition interlock device in your vehicle. Fines for a second offense range from $200 to $4,000, and you could face incarceration.
- Third offense. If the three DWI charges have all occurred in the last 10 years and the last two charges occurred within the last five years, the court may permanently revoke your license. You may also face jail time for up to two years.
A DWI ticket can carry heavier penalties in any of the following circumstances:
- The presence of a child in the vehicle
- The driver was speeding
- The driver damaged property or caused personal injury to another party
Seek the services of a Raleigh DWI lawyer at Hatch, Little & Bunn, LLP as soon as possible after receiving a DWI ticket. We can help you understand the potential consequences of your charges and fight to reduce or dismiss them.
Contact an experienced DWI lawyer in Raleigh
If you face DWI charges, a drunk driving defense lawyer in Raleigh can advise you of your legal rights and explain your options. Hatch, Little & Bunn, LLP offers extensive experience in criminal and civil litigation. Our Raleigh DWI attorneys are aware of the serious implications of DWI charges, and work hard to achieve fair outcomes for our clients. Email the criminal team at Hatch, Little & Bunn, LLP today or call 919-670-1411 to speak with a qualified lawyer.