Respected Criminal Defense Lawyers Represent Clients in the Raleigh-Wake County Area
Handling full range of state offenses in North Carolina
The U.S. Constitution provides you with rights if you have been charged with breaking the law. When you are prosecuted for a crime, or even when you are merely questioned by police, the authorities do not act in your interests; they are focused on investigating and developing a case, possibly against you. You need a skilled criminal defense attorney to protect your rights and ensure that you get the best treatment possible to lessen the penalties of the crimes and, if necessary, to obtain the best defense possible at trial.
For more than five decades, the attorneys at the Raleigh, NC offices of Hatch, Little & Bunn, LLP have lived up to our motto: “Every person who walks through our door is important to us!” If you have been charged with a criminal offense, we will work to see that all of your rights are protected and will make your best interests our top priority.
The importance of a lawyer in criminal cases
Criminal offenses can be misdemeanors and felonies, depending on the severity of the offense and the penalties that can be imposed. Misdemeanors, including some traffic violations, are punishable by up to three years in jail, and thousands dollars in fines. Felonies are more serious crimes that can draw prison terms, thousands of dollars in fines, and additional losses of your civil rights, such as the right to bear arms or vote. When facing such extreme consequences, it’s important to have knowledgeable, skilled and determined legal counsel.
The Raleigh attorneys at Hatch, Little & Bunn, LLP have extensive experience providing strong and effective defense in cases involving:
- Drug crimes — Distributing, using or possessing illegal drugs are offenses of varying degrees on both the state and federal level. Conviction of a drug crime can be life altering depending on the punishments imposed.
- Assault & battery — An alleged threat or act of physical violence against another person, including domestic violence, can be prosecuted as a misdemeanor or felony depending on the surrounding circumstances.
- Thefts — There are multiple types of conduct that may be prosecuted as theft, including the failure to return someone else’s property or the sale of goods found to have been stolen. You need a skilled attorney who will pursue all available defenses to criminal liability.
- Gun possession — The crime of gun possession can be a felony or misdemeanor at the state and federal levels depending on the type and quantity of weapons and the circumstances of possessing them.
- DWI — In North Carolina, driving while intoxicated or while impaired by drugs (DWI) can be a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the circumstances, level of the offense and the driver’s prior record. In addition to jail time and heavy fines, it can carry onerous penalties and restrictions.
- Traffic violations — Most traffic violations are misdemeanors or less but some, particularly speeding, can result in hefty fines, higher long-term insurance premiums and even driver’s license suspension.
Our criminal law FAQs page provides answers to frequently asked questions about criminal matters and explains how our attorneys may be able help.
Duties of a Raleigh criminal defense attorney
Given the potential for long sentences, heavy fines and other negative consequences, you should never face criminal charges without a capable defense attorney at your side. Our lawyers are experienced in representing defendants at all stages of the legal process from arrest to trial. For more than 50 years, we have built a reputation for obtaining successful outcomes. When our defense team takes your case, we investigate the circumstances thoroughly, examine reports and physical evidence, and interview alleged victims and potential witnesses. In many cases we are able to negotiate a reduction of charges or even a dismissal. Even when the facts are against our client, we can often deliver a positive outcome that reduces the sentence or avoids jail time altogether. If we take your case to trial, you can count on our skills in the courtroom to present a staunch defense.
Contact a Raleigh criminal defense law firm that has served North Carolina clients for more than 50 years
Hatch, Little & Bunn, LLP has provided comprehensive legal services to individuals facing criminal charges for more than half a century. Our attorneys are licensed to practice before all North Carolina state and federal courts, and are active in cases in Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest, Garner, Knightdale, Wake County and throughout North Carolina. Call 919-670-1411 or contact us online to schedule your consultation at our Raleigh office.