Family & Domestic Law
Personal matters demand personal attention
There are few things in life as stressful as dramatic changes in family relationships. If you are in the process of making a legal change in your personal life, or are contemplating one, please contact an attorney with Hatch, Little & Bunn, LLP’s family and domestic law practice. Our firm has protected the rights and interests of clients throughout the Triangle area of North Carolina for more than 50 years. Our attorneys have the experience you need to get you through difficult times.
We understand that clients making life-altering decisions need support and compassion. Our reputation for success is based on our ability to provide clients with sensitive understanding coupled with the legal tools to make informed, objective decisions during tumultuous times.
Our attorneys have handled all kinds of divorces from the friendliest, uncontested divorce to the most serious divorce circumstances. We believe in “minimizing the damage” and are committed to settling cases early in the proceedings without sacrificing our client’s interests. If litigation is necessary we will aggressively seek to obtain the best results for our clients.
Whether you are preparing for a divorce, grappling with child custody or child support issues, or anything in between, we can help.
A comprehensive approach to family changes
Hatch, Little & Bunn, LLP’s experienced family law attorneys help people make important life decisions related to all aspects of the break-up of a marriage, including:
- Divorce — helping clients through the emotional process leading up to and through the filing for divorce, and assisting in protecting their interests (fairly dividing assets, the treatment of children, etc.) in what happens next
- Legal separation — in North Carolina there is no paper to file that makes you legally separated, nor are you required to be separated to file for custody, property, spousal support and other matters
- Child custody — assisting clients to work out equal, joint and sole custody agreements that support the welfare of the child now and in the future
- Division of property (“equitable distribution”) — the division of marital debts and assets is in theory supposed to be equal, but includes many exceptions where a skilled attorney can help best protect your interests
- Child support — ensuring that according to North Carolina law children receive the same support whether their parents are together or apart
- Alimony/Spousal support — working to protect clients’ financial rights by developing post-separation (PSS) and alimony agreements
The above links, and one providing definitions of family law terms, will take you to answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about how North Carolina law treats these aspects of divorce, and how our firm can provide you with the counsel and representation you need.
It is also important to know that we pride ourselves on the holistic approach we employ to meet the needs and concerns of every family law client. They often require integrated services, and thus benefit from our firm’s related practice area skills in real estate law, taxation and estate planning.
Family law covers a variety of relationships, time frames, agreements and rights, and not just formal divorce papers. Our attorneys have deep knowledge and experience handling:
- Prenuptial agreements
- Asset division
- Paternity disputes
- Domestic violence
- Marital separation agreements
Marital separation agreements are a complex and important area of firm focus in the divorce process since they involve and or impact child custody and visitation, the division of real and personal property, education, insurance, tax returns and retirement benefits.
Sensitive and objective
At Hatch, Little & Bunn, LLP, we take our role as counselors, confidants and advisors seriously. We strive to ensure you get quality representation on all possible issues related to your unique situation. Whether you are looking for guidance to help you plan and protect your economic future, are trying to avoid divorce, need help in negotiating settlement agreements, or require aggressive representative in court, you need legal counsel that is:
- Sensitive to your needs to better understand your goals
- Objective so that the strategies to protect your future interests get past the emotion of your circumstances
Serving North Carolina clients for more than 50 years
Hatch, Little & Bunn, LLP has provided comprehensive legal services to individuals and businesses in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Research Triangle Park, Wake County and throughout North Carolina from offices by the state capitol for over half a century. Our attorneys are licensed to practice before all North Carolina state and federal courts. Call (919) 899-9827 today, or contact us online to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys about your concerns.